hdt-dev mailing list archives

From Adam Berry <ad...@apache.org>
Subject Plugin organization and build system
Date Thu, 10 Jan 2013 19:11:35 GMT
Hi everyone,

First, I've dropped the code from Hadoop contrib into our git repo, its on
its own branch, hadoop-contrib. The reason I put it on a branch is because
I think that splitting things up a little would be a good idea, and should
make it a little easier to support multiple versions of Hadoop.

So, the tools as they stand are just in one plugin. Broadly, the features
right now can be divided into;

MapReduce project and class code support (wizards etc)
Launch support for Hadoop
HDFS interaction

So taking a root name space of org.apache.hdt, I suggest something like the
following for the plugin names

org.apache.hdt.core

org.apache.hdt.ui

org.apache.hdt.debug.core
org.apache.hdt.debug.ui

org.apache.hdt.hdfs.core
org.apache.hdt.hdfs.ui

org.apache.hdt.help

These may be a little fluid as we get into the details here, but from 10000
feet it looks ok.

Finally, I would also like to suggest Tycho (Maven plugin for doing Eclipse
build stuff) as our build tool. I've done my fair share of pure Ant PDE
build stuff over the years, and Tycho is vastly easier, and would make it
much easier for people to build themselves without having to do a bunch of
local setup first.

Thoughts? If everyone thinks these are ok, I'll enter some issues and get
cracking.

Cheers,
Adam