hdt-dev mailing list archives

From Bob Kerns <...@acm.org>
Subject Re: Plugin organization and build system
Date Fri, 11 Jan 2013 05:07:43 GMT
I'll have a look at Tycho, I always like new tools. But I haven't found
pure ant plugin construction to be very difficult, so long as you steer
100% clear of anything provided by the PDE!

One goal of whatever build technology we adopt should be to make
reproducible setup and build as simple and clear as possible. Build setup
can be a barrier to project involvement.

Personally, I always find maven itself to be such a barrier. I'm willing to
take it as a given, though, given its widespread adoption and use with
Hadoop. I presume this also helps with integration with the Apache build
and distribution environment?

I'll try to keep us honest with the
"without having to do a bunch of local setup" principle; somehow I always
end up getting involved in build systems, because they're important.

Your plugin naming structure looks good, but if we're to support multiple
versions of Hadoop, I think we need a connector architecture, Maybe
org.apache.hdt.connector.<target> would
be a good place to put them?

Thanks for getting the source up there. I notice there's no history? Do
people think that's important? Would it help us with looking at what we
need to do to support older versions of Hadoop? (I wasn't successful in
pulling in the history in my attempts, and I'm not eager to stall the
project trying to pull it in, since it's available in SVN. Perhaps we can
provide a document that describes where to find the various historical
versions?)