hdt-dev mailing list archives

From Roman Shaposhnik <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Plugin organization and build system
Date Mon, 14 Jan 2013 02:26:56 GMT
On Thu, Jan 10, 2013 at 11:11 AM, Adam Berry <adamb@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> First, I've dropped the code from Hadoop contrib into our git repo, its on
> its own branch, hadoop-contrib. The reason I put it on a branch is because
> I think that splitting things up a little would be a good idea, and should
> make it a little easier to support multiple versions of Hadoop.

This actually brings up an interesting point -- feature branches. In my
prior experience heavy branching and commit early/commit often
policy end up lowering the bar for folks to enter the project. This could
be taken all the way to the extreme of a 'mob branch' e.g.:
    http://www.centerim.org/index.php/Contribute_Code
but sometime it works surprisingly well when it comes to growing the
community of external contributors.

Of course, the committers are still the only ones who can push into
trunk or any other branch that is used to cut releases.

> So taking a root name space of org.apache.hdt, I suggest something like the
> following for the plugin names
>
> org.apache.hdt.core
>
> org.apache.hdt.ui
>
> org.apache.hdt.debug.core
> org.apache.hdt.debug.ui
>
> org.apache.hdt.hdfs.core
> org.apache.hdt.hdfs.ui
>
> org.apache.hdt.help
>
> These may be a little fluid as we get into the details here, but from 10000
> feet it looks ok.

Looks quite reasonable.

> Finally, I would also like to suggest Tycho (Maven plugin for doing Eclipse
> build stuff) as our build tool. I've done my fair share of pure Ant PDE
> build stuff over the years, and Tycho is vastly easier, and would make it
> much easier for people to build themselves without having to do a bunch of
> local setup first.

Any reason not to stick with pure Maven? Or at least have that as a build
option?

Thanks,
Roman.