From Brian Fox <bri...@infinity.nu>
Subject Re: Update on 4.5.4 release?
Date Tue, 28 Nov 2017 15:22:27 GMT

> > Not so long ago Sonatype as a commercial entity was openly hostile to
> > this project.
> Reference?
> > I am sorry if that sounds harsh, but personally I am not going to do
> > anything to advance commercial interests of an unfriendly company.
> That's your prerogative, of course, but Peter doesn't necessarily
> represent his company nor the other way round.
> Peter, any committer can call for a release of any version/branch of any
> project at any time. You can help by providing (non-binding) voting
> feedback for any release proposed. If this community has a cold attitude
> toward your employer, you can suggest to your employer that they attempt
> to reach-out to this community in order to repair that relationship.

Hi Oleg, I was really caught off guard by your assertion and am sorry you
feel that way. I'm one of the co-founders and CTO at Sonatype and I can't
ever recall a time where anyone was hostile towards http client.

I am still actively involved at Apache, through the Maven PMC, Creadur and
RAT PMCs and at Infra. We have many other developers who are contributors
and PMC members of various Apache projects. Sonatype the company sponsors
Apache through Infra donations and still provides the Central repository
for everyone to use. We've also helped report vulnerabilities that are
uncovered in our research and our CSO even fixed a Xalan vulnerability
since there were no devs left on the project.

In short, I believe Sonatype and our developers have a healthy and happy
relationship with Apache in general. If you believe otherwise, I'd be happy
to chat with you off list to understand your concerns.

--Brian