From Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>
Subject Re: Possible to change default value for staleConnectionCheckEnabled?
Date Wed, 12 Jul 2017 16:57:27 GMT

Gary,

> On 7/12/17 12:05 PM, Christopher Schultz wrote:
>> Gary,
>
>> Nope. That field is 100% undocumented
>> (https://hc.apache.org/httpcomponents-client-ga/httpclient/apidocs/or

/apache/http/client/config/RequestConfig.html#DEFAULT)
>> so messing-around with it seems like a bad idea.
>
>> What do you suggest, specifically? It's a static final field, but
>> I don't believe we are running under a SecurityManager, so I
>> could probably use reflection to blast-away the value with one of
>> my choosing.
>
>> I haven't looked at the code... is the DEFAULT object cloned (at
>> least semantically) whenever a new RequestConfig object is built
>> to act as the default values for everything?
>
> Looks like not. I don't see that RequestConfig.DEFAULT is useful
> in any way, unless client code decides to use it for some reason.

The client code in question looks like this:

===
       PoolingHttpClientConnectionManager httpClientConnectionManager
= new PoolingHttpClientConnectionManager(socketFactoryRegistry);

       httpClientConnectionManager.setDefaultMaxPerRoute(5);

httpClientConnectionManager.setDefaultSocketConfig(SocketConfig.custom()
.setSoTimeout(timeout).build());

       client =
HttpClients.custom().setConnectionManager(httpClientConnectionManager).b
uild();

       requestConfig =
RequestConfig.custom().setConnectTimeout(CONNECT_TIMEOUT).setConnectionR
equestTimeout(CONNECT_TIMEOUT).setSocketTimeout(timeout).build();
===

I'm not sure there is a way to do this other than with some really
ugly reflection from outside code.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
- -chris