From "Oliver Stöneberg" <olive...@online.de>
Subject Unknown/invalid Content-Encoding response header
Date Mon, 06 Feb 2017 11:10:48 GMT
A few days ago I wrote some test for some code I am using HttpClient
in. The current code is using 4.5.2. After I finsihed the tests I
backported those to anolder version of the compomonent I am using the
library in which still uses 4.3.x. The tests worked fine with the
latest version, but with the older one I got the following exception:

Caused by: org.apache.http.HttpException: Unsupported Content-Coding: UTF-8
	at org.apache.http.client.protocol.ResponseContentEncoding.process(ResponseContentEncoding.java:98)
	at org.apache.http.protocol.ImmutableHttpProcessor.process(ImmutableHttpProcessor.java:139)
	at org.apache.http.impl.execchain.ProtocolExec.execute(ProtocolExec.java:200)
	at org.apache.http.impl.execchain.RetryExec.execute(RetryExec.java:86)
	at org.apache.http.impl.execchain.RedirectExec.execute(RedirectExec.java:108)
	at org.apache.http.impl.client.InternalHttpClient.doExecute(InternalHttpClient.java:184)
	... 37 more

It turns out some part of the code was using "Content-Encoding" to
specify the charset of the response content. It feels a bit strange
to me that a newer version would not report such a serious error. I
looked at the code in question and I can see that
ResponseContentEncoding.java change quite a bit and now has an
"ignoreUnknown" flag for these cases - unfortunately that appears to
be hard-coded to "true" now and cannot be configured.

I browsed the release notes for some insight on this and it appears
to be that the fix for

* [HTTPCLIENT-1550] Fixed 'deflate' zlib header check.
  Contributed by Oleg Kalnichevski <olegk at apache.org>

caused this change in behavior. Seems to me like the fix went a bit
too far on this.