From "Joseph Naegele" <jnaeg...@grierforensics.com>
Subject RE: HttpAsyncClient bounded download size
Date Wed, 07 Dec 2016 22:29:21 GMT
Thanks Oleg, this works.

I also needed to pass my custom HttpAsyncResponseConsumer to the FutureCallback in order to
extract the HttpResponse in the callback's "failure" method, and ensure my HttpAsyncResponseConsumer
maintains the HttpResponse even after its "releaseResources" method is called.

I can probably provide an example in the future if anyone ever wants to see how I did this.

Joe

-----Original Message-----
From: Oleg Kalnichevski [mailto:olegk@apache.org]
Sent: Wednesday, December 07, 2016 4:36 AM
To: HttpClient User Discussion <httpclient-users@hc.apache.org>
Subject: Re: HttpAsyncClient bounded download size

On Tue, 2016-12-06 at 11:21 -0500, Joseph Naegele wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> How can I limit the amount of data downloaded for a request executed by the HttpAsyncClient
and still process the response as "completed" in the registered FutureCallback? The use case
is a large scale web crawler that truncates resources deemed too large.

> I started by limiting the amount of data read from the response entity's InputStream,
however this doesn't work with the default BasicAsyncResponseConsumer, because it uses the
dynamically expanding SimpleInputBuffer to download the entire response entity.

> I implemented my own HttpAsyncResponseConsumer, similar to the BasicAsyncResponseConsumer,
and tried using IOControl to signal shutdown once the I've read maximum desired number of
bytes, however this triggers a ConnectionClosedException. This is undesirable because I can't
distinguish it from other causes of ConnectionClosedExceptions, and I want to treat "truncated"

> Is there another method of implementing my desired functionality?
>
> Thanks,
> Joe Naegele

Hi Joe

Make your custom HttpAsyncResponseConsumer throw a custom exception,
like IHadEnoughException or some such, and see if it gets correctly
propagated to the result callback. If it does not, please raise an issue
in JIRA.

Oleg