From Stefan Magnus Landrø <stefan.lan...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: SSL Handshake : timing and timeout
Date Fri, 11 Nov 2016 10:01:29 GMT
True. The way SSL sockets are created is complex stuff. They are layered
and I believe the handshake is async - maybe Oleg could clarify?

Anyways - We ran into an issue a few years ago with an SSL handshake taking
for ever (a switch was dropping packets of a certain size ... ), and
tracked our hanging threads down to blocking because the SoTimeout was set
to 0 by default. Changing this prevented threads from hanging for ever.

Ref javadoc:

Determines the default socket timeout value for non-blocking I/O operations.