From Rob Griffin <Rob.Grif...@software.dell.com>
Subject RE: Memory leak in CloseableHttpAsyncClient?
Date Mon, 17 Oct 2016 23:07:22 GMT
I've raised the issue https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HTTPASYNC-116

Regards,

Rob Griffin
Software Analyst, Spotlight on SQL Server
Dell Software | R & D
office +613 9811 8021

-----Original Message-----
From: Oleg Kalnichevski [mailto:olegk@apache.org]
Sent: Monday, 17 October 2016 11:58 PM
To: HttpClient User Discussion <httpclient-users@hc.apache.org>
Subject: Re: Memory leak in CloseableHttpAsyncClient?

On Sun, 2016-10-16 at 21:54 +0000, Rob Griffin wrote:
> We are using HTTPAsynchClient to send data to our web site from a Java client.
>
> We call CloseableHttpAsyncClient.execute() to execute HTTP PUTs at the rate of several
hundred per minute. Sometimes our web site slows down and does not respond quickly enough
and when this occurs the requests back up. We have code that detects this and cancels the
Future returned from the execute method when the request has waited too long. If this happens
too often the application crashes with an out of memory error.

> Analysis of a dump showed that there were more 108,000 instances of org.apache.http.nio.pool.LeaseRequest
along with a similar number of instances of other HTTP Client classes. Inspecting one of these
objects showed that its future variable is not cancelled but that by tracing though the callback
variables there is a cancelled Future further up the chain. That cancelled Future object is
one returned by execute because its callback is one of our classes. To me it appears that
the library is unaware that cancel has been called on the Future returned by execute() and
so keeps a reference to it.

> See
> [url=https://postimg.org/image/j6zfdrquf/][img]https://s15.postimg.org
> /qa7atdwa3/Screen_Shot010.jpg[/img][/url][url=https://postimage.org/]i
> mage url[/url]
>
> Regards,
>
> Rob Griffin

Hi Rob

Currently cancellation of the response future does not immediately results in cancellation
pending connection lease request or termination of the request execution.

Feel free to raise an improvement request in Jira.

Oleg