From Rob Griffin <Rob.Grif...@software.dell.com>
Subject Memory leak in CloseableHttpAsyncClient?
Date Sun, 16 Oct 2016 21:54:27 GMT
We are using HTTPAsynchClient to send data to our web site from a Java client.

We call CloseableHttpAsyncClient.execute() to execute HTTP PUTs at the rate of several hundred
per minute. Sometimes our web site slows down and does not respond quickly enough and when
this occurs the requests back up. We have code that detects this and cancels the Future returned
from the execute method when the request has waited too long. If this happens too often the
application crashes with an out of memory error.

Analysis of a dump showed that there were more 108,000 instances of org.apache.http.nio.pool.LeaseRequest
along with a similar number of instances of other HTTP Client classes. Inspecting one of these
objects showed that its future variable is not cancelled but that by tracing though the callback
variables there is a cancelled Future further up the chain. That cancelled Future object is
one returned by execute because its callback is one of our classes. To me it appears that
the library is unaware that cancel has been called on the Future returned by execute() and
so keeps a reference to it.

See [url=https://postimg.org/image/j6zfdrquf/][img]https://s15.postimg.org/qa7atdwa3/Screen_Shot010.jpg[/img][/url][url=https://postimage.org/]image
url[/url]

Regards,

Rob Griffin
Software Analyst, Spotlight on SQL Server
Dell Software | R & D