From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: CachingHttpClient and IIS Digest authentication
Date Wed, 20 Jan 2016 14:06:37 GMT
On Wed, 2016-01-20 at 09:41 +0000, Romstorfer, Georg wrote:
> I tried to do Digest authentication with the CachingHttpClient against an IIS 7 Webserver,
but the client enters an infinite loop because the server always responds with the parameter
"stale=true" in the WWW-Authenticate header.
> I did some debugging and found out, that the cause is the Via header added by the CachingHttpClient.
So now I can also reproduce it with the not caching HttpClient when I simply add the Via header
to the request.

> Is this behaviour conforming to any standards, a bug in IIS 7 or a bug in the CachingHttpClient?
>
> I'm using httpclient-4.5.1

Without re-reading RFC 2617 this looks like a server side issue to me.
By responding with 'stale=true' the server effectively asks the client
to re-authenticate using a newer 'nonce' value.

Oleg