From "Winkler, Florian" <florian.wink...@sap.com>
Subject Apache HTTP Client for Android
Date Thu, 17 Dec 2015 23:00:13 GMT
Hi there,

I read about the Android port for HTTP Client, and I also read that it is discontinued since
on Android platform v23 Google chose to remove the old HTTP Client classes.
I furthermore read that people targeting Android 23+ should resort to Marek Sebera's client
port (https://hc.apache.org/httpcomponents-client-4.5.x/android-port.html).

I'd rather like to use the official Apache version of HTTP client (4.5.1). I therefore set
up an Android project for platform v23 and thought "Hey, if Google removed all old HTTPClient
classes, then I should at least have a chance adding the new Apache 4.5.1 ones as 3rd party
dependencies."
However, that is not the case. Turns out, some old classes are still on Android platform v23
(e.g. HttpParams), and when I try to add dependencies to Apache HTTPClient 4.5.1 to the gradle
script, I get an error:

WARNING: Dependency org.apache.httpcomponents:httpclient:4.5.1 is ignored for debug as it
may be conflicting with the internal version provided by Android.

         In case of problem, please repackage it with jarjar to change the class packages

Honestly, I do not get it. Is this a problem of Google now, is this a problem of the Apache
HTTP Client, and why is a project discontinued that still seems to be very relevant for Android's
platform v23?

Any explanations on this topic are very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Florian

Florian Winkler
Development Architect   I   P&I Industry Cloud – Mobility
SAP SE   I   Dietmar-Hopp-Allee 16   I   69190 Walldorf   I   Germany
 T +49 6227 7-52607   I   F +49 6227 78 56076   I   E-Mail: f<mailto:florian.winkler@sap.com>lorian.winkler@sap.com<mailto:florian.winkler@sap.com>
<http://www.sap.com/>www.sap.com<http://www.sap.com/>