From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Apache HTTP Client for Android
Date Fri, 18 Dec 2015 09:56:04 GMT
On Thu, 2015-12-17 at 23:00 +0000, Winkler, Florian wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I read about the Android port for HTTP Client, and I also read that it is discontinued
since on Android platform v23 Google chose to remove the old HTTP Client classes.
client port (https://hc.apache.org/httpcomponents-client-4.5.x/android-port.html).

> I'd rather like to use the official Apache version of HTTP client (4.5.1). I therefore
set up an Android project for platform v23 and thought "Hey, if Google removed all old HTTPClient
classes, then I should at least have a chance adding the new Apache 4.5.1 ones as 3rd party
dependencies."
> However, that is not the case. Turns out, some old classes are still on Android platform
v23 (e.g. HttpParams), and when I try to add dependencies to Apache HTTPClient 4.5.1 to the
gradle script, I get an error:

> WARNING: Dependency org.apache.httpcomponents:httpclient:4.5.1 is ignored for debug as
it may be conflicting with the internal version provided by Android.

>          In case of problem, please repackage it with jarjar to change the class packages
>

> Honestly, I do not get it. Is this a problem of Google now, is this a problem of the
Apache HTTP Client, and why is a project discontinued that still seems to be very relevant
for Android's platform v23?

> Any explanations on this topic are very much appreciated.

One can still run HttpClient Android 4.3.5.1 on Android 23+ instead of
Marek Sebera's port, but there will be no official ports of HC 4.4 or
4.5. It is just not worth it. Our focus will be on making sure that HC
5.0 can run without modifications on newer versions of Android.

Oleg