From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: GZIP encoding, EOF detector & leaked connections
Date Tue, 15 Sep 2015 07:33:07 GMT
On Mon, 2015-09-14 at 09:48 -0700, David Ayre wrote:
> I'm using httpclient 4.4.1 with Jersey 2.19 and have spent some time troubleshooting
a problem with http connections to a specific server A leased from the  PoolingClientConnectionManager
which are never made available again because they are never released.   Our per route for
A maxes out and a portion of our app locks up within the connection manger waiting for an
available connection.

> Connections are properly released when i connected to a different server B, so i compared
the calls from both A & B and the one difference i noticed was the successful one to B
was not getting a compressed response.

> When connecting to server B, the EOF detector released the connection to the connection
manager successfully, for A with a compressed response, the EOF detector never releases the
connection.

> When i enable the "contentCompressionDisabled" flag manually for A within the HttpClientBuilder,
the connection to server A works as the EOF detector correctly releases the connection.

> Should gzip compression affect the ability for the EOF detector to release the connection
back to the pool ?   If not, then i think this may be a bug.

> David

David

While this may well be a bug in HC I think it is more likely that GZIP
content stream is incorrectly terminated which causes HC to assume that
more data is still to come.

Oleg