From Michael Osipov <micha...@apache.org>
Subject Re: GPF in WindowsNegotiateScheme.dispose()
Date Fri, 28 Aug 2015 19:48:19 GMT
Am 2015-08-28 um 21:22 schrieb Alexander Bernstein:
> Thank you, Michael. I too noticed that the code was marked as
> experimental. I have a workaround for this issue (simply keep the
> references to the created WindowsNegotiateScheme objects and dispose
> of them before GC gets to them. This works for me.

It is always a good decision to release resources as soon as you don't
need them. Even in Java with sockets or streams.

> Having said that,
> should I expect more problems later? If these are known issues, are
> there others?

There are at least three issues with JNA in HttpClient:
1. https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HTTPCLIENT-1561 due to
https://github.com/java-native-access/jna/issues/381
2. https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HTTPCLIENT-1582
MAX_TOKEN_SIZE is a const value. Might cause problems if the token is
bigger than this. Ideally, the client will request the system to
allocate memory for it.
3: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HTTPCLIENT-1598

Maybe others.

> Now, this code is experimental which I can understand, so I ran an
> experiment and found a problem. But putting something untested/not
> reviewed into production (the released libraries in this case) seems
> dangerous to me. I am not questioning your practices or anything,
> just a side comment.

It is completely up to you if you wan't to rely on this code. If you can
live with the issues that is fine.

Here is a writeup I have created on the issue several months ago:
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/hc-dev/201504.mbox/%3C552C2B3B.9060003@apache.org%3E

Please read the entire thread.

Michael