From Sean Shubin <seanshu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: I get SSLPeerUnverifiedException after upgrading from 4.3.6 to 4.4
Date Sun, 08 Feb 2015 22:14:33 GMT
I get the advantages of SLL, but publicsuffix is above and beyond SSL, and
is also not built in to browsers, so that does not address my central
question of:
"Why should an http client library be unable to execute an HTTP GET to a
location that any web browser can?"

What I perceived as a problem was that we have an http client library
applying different rules than http browsers.  Then again, perhaps all
of the browsers are wrong in this regard, and have not gotten around to
integrating the publicsuffix rules.

I don't really want to debate what the apache http client library should
do, I am more interested in understanding the priorities, so I can decide
if it is suited to my needs.

Should an http client library be a simple abstraction over HTTP?  In this
case it is really easy to automate anything a browser can do, but you don't
get the additional security of enforcing the publicsuffix rules.
Or should the http client library be smart enough to enforce rules that
browsers do not?  In this case the publicsuffix rules are enforced for
free, but since the behavior is different than that of http browsers, you
won't be able reliably automate http browsers.