From Tony Anecito <adanec...@yahoo.com.INVALID>
Subject Re: Support for http 2.0
Date Wed, 25 Feb 2015 05:34:56 GMT
Actually there are other pluses. For one the number of sockets will go down dramatically to
one since the data is multiplexed over one socket which the app server people will really
want. Also, there is header compression which for mobile devices is very important since most
of thier communication is small such that header size affects performance. The data is now
binary in the main body which helps with the performance and secuirty aspect. Also, if an
organization has upgraded the firewalls and proxies with http/2 and thier browsers support
it and they have server side support then they can move forward. But as you said the server
side support is sparse but netty and jetty support it now so if that is upgraded for web servers
like apache then that covers the server side fairly well. Servlet 4.0 will support http/2
in J2EE 8 but who knows when that will be released. With app servers, java ect getting faster
the network bottleneck is more the concern especially resources consumed by all those cell
phones and maybe tablets. What will push all this is cost savings. For big companies it may
be worth it if it is all internal planned updates anyway. It will be a interesting year to
see what IT does. Best Regards,-Tony

     On Tuesday, February 24, 2015 6:01 PM, Brett Ryan <brett.ryan@gmail.com> wrote:

 Tony, HTTP/2 is 1.1 backwards compatible. If the client doesn't understand HTTP/2 then it
will not elect HTTP/2 features.

>From my understanding performance gains are only going to be noticed by the new push mechanism
that allows the server serve up parts of the content that the server thinks the client needs
to render the response.

While a client may understand HTTP/2, the server needs to also, AND so does the application
running on the server so that the application can manifest what content should be served up
with the main request.

With all this, considering that there's only a select few of servers supporting HTTP/2, I
think the HC project has a little time before HTTP/2 support is going to be something a lot
of developers are requiring.

> On 25 Feb 2015, at 11:43, Tony Anecito <adanecito@yahoo.com.INVALID> wrote:
>
> Good question. Simpler means no frameworks without all the features and focus on simple
url type calls to take advantage of the performance to begin with.http 2.0 is mostly about
performance. The question is what will be available this month and beginning next month and
who will be early adopters.The amount of money saved for big sites is quite a bit. And network
and app server folks will love it. Regards,-Tony

>    On Tuesday, February 24, 2015 4:10 PM, Stefan Magnus Landrø <stefan.landro@gmail.com>
wrote:

> What do you mean by simpler?
>
> Sendt fra min iPhone
>
>> Den 24. feb. 2015 kl. 20.46 skrev Tony Anecito <adanecito@yahoo.com.INVALID>:
>>
>> My guess is IT and developers will be pushed to quickly use the new standard and
bypass HC to use a simpler solution in the interim.