From Michael Osipov <micha...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Implementing a two pass HttpEntity
Date Mon, 09 Feb 2015 18:55:27 GMT
Am 2015-02-09 um 14:26 schrieb Oleg Kalnichevski:
> On Sun, 2015-02-08 at 22:26 +0100, Michael Osipov wrote:
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> I am in a need to implement a two-pass HttpEntity. This is related to my
>> previous question [1].
>>
>> Say, I have a PayloadEntity which extends StringEntity and contains XML
>> content. This is being put into the HttpPost. Unfortunately, this isn't
>> enough for a complete request. I need to wrap that with a
>> RequestEnvelope entity. My idea was to do that with an request
>> interceptor which would do new RequestEnvelopeEntity(String xml,
>> PayloadEntity payload)...
>>
>> The interceptor would add some specific information to the envelope
>> entity which are bound to a session and pooled by Commons Pool.
>>
>> The template for that is always:
>>
>> <Envelope>
>>
>> <session information from pool....>...
>> <Body><![CDATA[${payload}]]>
>> </Body>
>> </Envelope>
>>
>> Note: No, this is not SOAP, this is a custom, braindead, sort of RPC
>> over REST protocol.
>>
>> My first idea was to have both extend StringEntity and filter the
>> payload as in a two-pass Velocity template. The issue is that
>> #getContent returns an input stream backed by a byte array which I would
>> need to convert back to a string, filter the template and pass the
>> string which in turn would be converted to a byte array. Not very smart
>> and waste of operations.
>>
>> Preconditions are that PayloadEntity is complete, the XML string passed
>> to RequestEnvelopeEntity is already complete but for the ${payload}.
>> Filtering is performed by org.apache.commons.lang3.text.StrSubstitutor.
>>
>> The best approach I came up with is to abuse the PayloadEntity as a
>> container and add a #getPayload method. I would get the string here,
>> pass that to the filter, consume the getContent stream and construct a
>> new StringEntity, avoiding a custom RequestEnvelopeEntity in the
>> interceptor.
>>
>> Any (better) ideas?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Michael
>>

> Michael
>
> Is there any good reason for using two phase approach to generating
> entity content? What exactly are you winning by doing so?

My intention is to leave session handling off the client code and have
the interceptor set appropriate headers and the runtime information to
the request envelope. The approach I am using for this would a custom
session objected described here:
http://www.mail-archive.com/user@commons.apache.org/msg09844.html

I should be completely opaque to the repository code.

Does that make sense or do you think the interceptor is just overhead?
The altenative would be that I write some prive method in my repo which
does all that, not very elegant.

Michael