From Shawn Heisey <apa...@elyograg.org>
Subject Re: HTTP 2 and Apache HTTP client
Date Fri, 09 Jan 2015 06:15:06 GMT
On 1/8/2015 5:28 PM, Stefan Magnus Landrø wrote:
> Maybe consider jetty instead?
>
> https://github.com/eclipse/jetty.project/blob/jetty-http2/jetty-http2/http2-client/src/test/java/org/eclipse/jetty/http2/client/Client.java

For an Apache project like Solr (which uses HttpClient and is my primary
reason for being here), I see two problems with that idea:

One problem is the "eating your own dog food" argument -- if software
from an Apache project fits all of the requirements and has no
significant disadvantages compared to a competitor, we should choose to
use the software from Apache.  Both projects are likely to benefit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eating_your_own_dog_food

The other problem is that switching to a completely different http
client would likely involve significant development time, both for the
switch itself and for fixing the inevitable bugs that are a direct result.

Seeing that competing projects are already focusing effort on HTTP/2 is
even more reason to accelerate HttpClient towards HTTP/2.

Even Oracle has fairly concrete plans for a new client in Java itself:

Thanks,
Shawn