From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Problem with NTML authentication for large requests
Date Wed, 17 Sep 2014 12:29:53 GMT
On Tue, 2014-09-16 at 13:38 -0700, Alex Oscherov wrote:
> Oleg,
> Here is the link for the successful run with classic HC. This is exactly
> the same test as I ran previously with async HC
> https://org62.my.salesforce.com/sfc/p/000000000062/a/300000009kGJ/3nxDrGpX7Mz72BRyDe2bUT7X0hLvx2g1egCRBCYgG_w=
>
> Regards,
>     Alex Oscherov

I think I know the reason. Short story, this is a server side issue (IIS
brokenness).

Long story. The problem is caused by IIS responding 'out of
sequence' (before the client is fully done transmitting request message
content). Classic HttpClient simply cant handle out of sequence
starts reading response message. Purely coincidentally, in some cases
where out sequence response can be fully buffered inside a TCP internal
buffer this actually helps work the problem around. HttpAsyncClient on
the other hand can deal with out of sequence responses. It stops
transmitting request message immediately after receiving an out of
sequence response but then shuts the connection as non-persistent (left
in a inconsistent state by partially transmitted request) once done
reading the response (which makes sense). The funny thing is that NTLM
can work with persistent connections only given it involves multiple
message exchanges. So, what IIS does is in my opinion plain stupid.

Oleg