From K Fung <kfung4...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Specifying the correct SPN via WinHttpClients in HttpClient 4.4
Date Thu, 14 Aug 2014 17:56:47 GMT
Hi Malcolm,

If you take a look at the default WinHttpClient[1], specifically the
createBuilder() function, you'll see that null is always being
provided as the principle name. I was hoping there would be a way to
automatically inject HTTP/<hostname>. I planned to examine how this
could be made possible :-)

Currently, in our own code code, we are creating an specific client
with a specific auth scheme and specifically filling in the correct
SPN for the request.

Regards,
kl

[1] https://fisheye6.atlassian.com/browse/httpcomponents/httpclient/trunk/httpclient-win/src/main/java/org/apache/http/impl/client/WinHttpClients.java?r=1602401

On Thu, Aug 14, 2014 at 9:37 AM, Malcolm Smith
<malcolm_smith@standardlife.com> wrote:
> Hi Ka-Lok,
>
> I¹m wondering what you expect the out of the box behaviour to be here? The
> service principal needs to be specified by the client, so there is no
> valid default.
>
> I submitted the original patch to enable the SPN to be specified, and
> wrote the SO response you linked to. Are you just looking to provide a
> simpler way of injecting the SPN into the WindowsNegotiateSchemeFactory?
> Admittedly it is slightly clunky having to construct an anonymous class,
> but I couldn¹t find a simpler way of injecting the SPN into the
> WindowsNegotiateSchemeFactory.
>
> Regards,
>
> Malcolm.
>

> On 13/08/2014 22:14, "K Fung" <kfung4cxf@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Hello,
>>
>>If we use WinHttpClients as, HTTP Negotiate authentication won't work
>>because the ticket being generated always uses 'null' service
>>principle name (SPN). Can this be filed as a bug?
>>
>>According to the informational RFC 4559
>>(http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc4559.txt), the service principle
>>name (SPN) should be in the following form: HTTP/hostname.
>>
>>Of course, we can work around it ourselves if we did something similar
>>to http://stackoverflow.com/a/22865583 but it would be great if the
>>sample code works out of the box :-)
>>
>>Regards,
>>kl

> Confidentiality - This email is confidential.
> Not meant for you? - If you don't think this email is meant for you, please let us know.
Do not copy or forward the information it contains, and delete this email from your system.
> Views expressed - Any personal views or opinions expressed in this email are the sender's,
and do not necessarily reflect the views of Standard Life group.
> Monitoring - We filter and monitor emails to protect our systems and to keep them running
smoothly.
> Emailing us - Email isn't a secure form of communication. If you want to send us confidential
information please send it by post. However, if you do communicate with us by email on any
subject, you are giving us permission to email you back.
> Phoning us - Calls may be monitored and/or recorded to protect both you and us and help
with our training. Call charges will vary.
For more information on Standard Life group visit our website http://www.standardlife.com/.
> Standard Life plc (SC286832), Standard Life Assurance Limited (SC286833) and Standard
Life Employee Services Limited (SC271355) are all registered in Scotland at Standard Life
House, 30 Lothian Road, Edinburgh EH1 2DH. Standard Life Assurance Limited is authorised by
the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the