From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Intermittent ProtocolException in HttpClient 3.x
Date Thu, 24 Jul 2014 11:38:47 GMT
On Thu, 2014-07-24 at 03:38 +0000, Alex, Joseph (Contractor) wrote:
> After enabling wire logging, we see that the response is having some hex values ([0x15][0x3][0x1][0x0][0x2][0x2])
at the beginning of response for all failed cases. This explains the ProtocolException, since
it's not starting with HTTP. Sample below :

> org.apache.commons.httpclient.Wire.wire  >> "GET /api/request?id=111 HTTP/1.1[\r][\n]"
> org.apache.commons.httpclient.Wire.wire  >> "Authorization: Basic AAA[\r][\n]"
> org.apache.commons.httpclient.Wire.wire  >> "User-Agent: Jakarta Commons-HttpClient/3.0.1[\r][\n]"
> org.apache.commons.httpclient.Wire.wire  >> "Host:a.b.com:8443[\r][\n]"
> org.apache.commons.httpclient.Wire.wire  >> "[\r][\n]"
> org.apache.commons.httpclient.Wire.wire  << "[0x15][0x3][0x1][0x0][0x2][0x2][\r][\n]"
> org.apache.commons.httpclient.Wire.wire  << "null[\r][\n]"
>
> Googling this pattern (15 03 01 00 02 02) , it seems to match with SSL handshake errors
(v3 alert, but with last byte missing..from http://bugs.java.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=4483157)
. What could be the reasons for such a response?

> Thanks,
> Joseph

Joseph,

I am very sorry but HC 3.1 is no longer supported. Please consider
upgrading.

Oleg

when calling a https URL hosted in Tomcat 6.x. This is HTTPClient 3.x and used within an IBM
JVM (JDK 6.x) Both client and server are within same organization, just different servers
and configuration. Stacktrace below :

> org.apache.commons.httpclient.ProtocolException: The server a.b.com failed to respond
with a valid HTTP response
>         at org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpMethodBase.readStatusLine(HttpMethodBase.java:1846)
>         at org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpMethodBase.readResponse(HttpMethodBase.java:1590)
>         at org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpMethodBase.execute(HttpMethodBase.java:995)
>         at org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpMethodDirector.executeWithRetry(HttpMethodDirector.java:397)
>         at org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpMethodDirector.executeMethod(HttpMethodDirector.java:170)
>         at org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpClient.executeMethod(HttpClient.java:396)
>         at org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpClient.executeMethod(HttpClient.java:324)
>
> From HTTPClient source, this is thrown here :
>
> else if (s == null || count >= maxGarbageLines) {
>                 // Giving up
>                 throw new ProtocolException("The server " + conn.getHost() +
>                         " failed to respond with a valid HTTP response");
>             }
>
> I assume this means a connection has been established ,and a response returned , but
it's just not valid and at some point it becomes null. Is this a right assumption, and how
do we go about debugging. Is this related to the URL being HTTPS , and why does it happen
only intermittently. During these errors, we don’t see entries in the server's access log,
which indicates the request hasn't been processed.

> Thanks,
> Joseph
>

> This message, including any attachments, is the property of Sears Holdings Corporation
and/or one of its subsidiaries. It is confidential and may contain proprietary or legally
privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete it without reading
the contents. Thank you.