From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Thread Contention (due to use of proxys) in HttpClient 4.3
Date Wed, 21 May 2014 15:02:51 GMT
On Wed, 2014-05-21 at 15:40 +0100, Daniel Feist wrote:
> Here are the results!!  Interesting...
>
> I reran everything:
> - Added JVM options to even out garbage collection.
> - Ran each test for minutes 5 minutes.
> - Used Jetty SelectChannelConnector, same as you always used.  (other
> one is faster, but less stable).
>
> https://docs.google.com/a/mulesoft.com/spreadsheets/d/1j2TCeAQmrkWLZyQfetzmtqmUDaGQBiDAr20hC9gEfYE/edit#gid=590558615
>
> Configurations of httpClient are as you have in svn accept for 4.3.3
> (not minimal) which is configured as follows:
>
> The non-minimal configuration for 4.3.3 is:
> final RequestConfig requestConfig = RequestConfig.custom()
>         .setStaleConnectionCheckEnabled(false)
>         .setExpectContinueEnabled(false)
>         .build();
> this.httpclient = HttpClients.custom()
>         .setConnectionManager(this.mgr)
>         .disableContentCompression()
>         .setDefaultRequestConfig(requestConfig)
>         .build();
>

> Dan

Hi Daniel,

What I am seeing makes me think we are on the right track, aren't we? I
find HC 3.1 performance with 32 CPU cores a little suspect, but HC 3.x
has a completely different connection pool manager implementation, so I
do not see this as anything worth looking into.

I'll merge my changes into the official SVN repository shortly. I
personally would consider the issue resolved unless you think there is
still something that needs investigation.

Cheers

Oleg