From Bratislav Stojanovic <bratislav1...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Fwd: Connection timeout doesn't behave the same on windows and linux
Date Mon, 03 Mar 2014 18:36:44 GMT
Mmmm...good point. I seems to me now this is more architectural problem in
my software, not a httpclient issue.

What I'm trying to achieve here is basically I need to fire a db query (via
REST) during startup of my webapp. DB runs
in a separate process and needs around 10 secs to start being responsive.
If I fire this query too early, I get connection timeout (on windows).
If I fire query at the time when db is just about to finish initialization,
my request gets accepted, but db returns 404. If I fire the same query when
db finished its initialization procedure, I get of course a proper response.

So I figured, I should use retry handler to poke db every second until I
get 200, but that's obviously a bad approach, since db can bring up REST
interface, but the other parts still haven't completed booting. It's
working fine on Windows since it runs on a physical machine,
but on Linux it simply skips timeout, since it's a vmware vm (and has
limited hw resources).

I temporarily solved this by manually adding configurable Thread.sleep
timeout so db can pick up. Not sure if there's a better solution.

Thanx for your input.

P.S. I'm using eXist XML database (exist-db.org)