From Shawn Heisey <s...@elyograg.org>
Subject Re: How to know which port is newly created for the connection ?
Date Mon, 17 Feb 2014 18:49:36 GMT
On 2/17/2014 12:34 AM, Kiran Chitturi wrote:
> Thank you so much for your reply. If I use the 'SystemDefaultHttpClient'
> for creating http client, there are many options for configuring the http
> client like socket reuse, disabling stale check, etc.. that are not
> possible to configure through SolrJ. May be after SOLR-5604, there will be
> more options through SolrJ for configuring or one could pass their own
> http client with the configured parameters.

That's part of my idea with that issue.  Get rid of all HttpClient
deprecations in Solr code and make it possible to use an HttpClient
built with HttpClientBuilder.  A secondary but important goal would be
to fix HttpClientUtil to use the builder object, and expand the list of
options it can configure.

> If I use Http client from  4.3.x series, do you think there is code inside
> SolrJ that would make http client (4.3.2) incompatible with SolrJ?

After I upgraded to 4.3.1 in my SolrJ application, I saw all the
deprecated HttpClient stuff.  I tried switching it to HttpClientBuilder
and using the client with HttpSolrServer, but my application no longer
worked, and threw some ugly exceptions.  I am a little bit surprised
that you can get it to work, but I haven't tried CloudSolrServer.  I
also haven't tried again now that I'm on 4.3.2, which might be why it's
working for you.

More boring details, many of which have already been discussed:

I switched to SolrJ's HttpClientUtil so I no longer had deprecations in
my own code, and forgot about it for a few weeks.  Then someone opened
SOLR-5590.  I tested HttpClient 4.3.1 (latest at the time) in the Lucene
ivy config.  The tests still passed, so I committed the change.

Now Solr and one small part of Lucene are using deprecated classes and
methods, so we have SOLR-5604.  Every time I start trying to fix it, the
errors balloon, so I think it's going to require a significant overhaul.
 With Solr 4.x, API compatibility with earlier 4.x releases is
preferred, so it might only be possible to implement SOLR-5604 in trunk.

Thanks,
Shawn