From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Incredibly slow gzip downloads
Date Sat, 15 Feb 2014 11:47:13 GMT

On Sat, 2014-02-15 at 11:22 +0100, Sebastiano Vigna wrote:
> Something happened from HttpClient 4.3.1 to 4.3.2.
>
> All of a sudden, we are seeing an immense amount of CPU spent into inflating compressed
HTTP responses. We were experimenting >5000 pages/s two months ago, but less than 1200
pages/s now (same hardware, etc.), for no apparent reason. The CPU is 100% consumed by Inflater.

> The absolutely weird thing is that in profiling we are spending 15% doing inflation and
1.5% doing deflation... and the same amount of data is going through the two phases. Downgrading
to 4.3.1 immediately brought back the old performance, and we spend more time in deflation
than in inflation (as it should be).

> Maybe some change in the buffer size?
>
> Ciao,

Here's the diff between 4.3.1 and 4.3.2

https://github.com/apache/httpclient/compare/4.3.1...4.3.2

The problem mostly likely has been introduced by HTTPCLIENT-1432 [1]. I
reviewed the patch once more and could not find anything obviously wrong
with it. Try reverting the changes introduced by HTTPCLIENT-1432 and see
if that resolves the problem.

Oleg

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HTTPCLIENT-1432