From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Transparent Ntlm authentication
Date Mon, 30 Dec 2013 16:03:09 GMT
On Mon, 2013-12-30 at 10:15 -0500, Rob Goodberry wrote:
> Hello Oleg,
>
> Thank you for your quick reply.
>
> I am excited to hear about the feature coming to 4.4. I just started using
> the mailing lists this morning and was reading that in 4.4 the minimum
> required JRE version may change from 1.5 to 1.6 or even to 1.7, is this
> still the case?

Yes, it still is. HttpClient trunk will get switched to 1.6 after 4.3.2
release.

> Also, I've never built anything with Maven before. I tried to set it up at
> work but was unable to as I could not set the $JAVA_HOME environment
> variable. Is maven actually required to build Httpclient or is there some
> other way?

It is certainly not required but recommended. Maven is well supported by
all popular IDEs, so generally it should be a (relatively) simple matter
of configuring Maven support in your IDE of choice.

> I don't have a lot of experience with building from other
> peoples source and I keep getting a java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError
> whenever I try to run the code using the new Auth scheme factory. I am
> sorry for the somewhat unrelated question.

JNI libraries used by Win specific auth schemes require Java 1.6. This
is one of the reasons why 4.4 will no longer be 1.5 compatible. Make
sure you are not trying to execute your code with JRE 1.5.

Hope this helps

Oleg