From Christopher BROWN <br...@reflexe.fr>
Subject Compiling "core" and "client" with target Java 1.6 classfile format
Date Tue, 01 Oct 2013 04:48:51 GMT
Hi,

More of an Ant user, I tried configuring the POM file after downloading
http "core" (haven't tried "client" yet) to compile to Java 1.6, for a more
recent classfile format (it's slightly more efficient).

I tried to follow advice here:
http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-compiler-plugin/examples/set-compiler-source-and-target.html

...but couldn't see any references to maven-compiler-plugin in any of the
pom.xml files (including those in subdirectories).

There seems to be some magic going on, as I tried compiling anyway, and
after inspecting the generated classes in the generated jars ("mvn install"
was successful), it appears that the output classfile version is 49 (as in
Java 5)... I checked as follows:
javap -v org.apache.http.util.VersionInfo

I said "magic", because I'm using Mac OS X 10.8 from 2012 with only Java 6,
7, and 8 installed...

I'm curious to know how Java 5 is specified and used for compilation, and
would like to compile with the most recent "javac" version possible.

Thanks,
Christopher