From S Ahmed <sahmed1...@gmail.com>
Subject simple load tester, tips on make my http post call fast and effecient
Date Thu, 03 Oct 2013 21:19:35 GMT
I want to create a simple load tester that posts a file to a service
endpoint.

Are there any existing samples that have all the best-practices in place
and that also does this in a group of threads?

As a starting point, can you guys critique my method that posts a file
please.

I am creating a single instance of the client that I will pass to this
function:

CloseableHttpClient httpClient = HttpClients.createDefault();

private static int PostToApi(CloseableHttpClient httpClient, File xmlFile)
throws IOException {

        HttpPost httpPost = new HttpPost("http://localhost:8090/a/b/c/");
        httpPost.setEntity(new FileEntity(xmlFile, "text/xml,
application/xml"));

        CloseableHttpResponse response = httpClient.execute(httpPost);

        int responseCode = 0;

        try {
            BufferedReader reader = new BufferedReader(new
InputStreamReader(response.getEntity().getContent()));

            String line = "";
            while ((line = reader.readLine()) != null) {
                System.out.println(line);
                if(line.equals("OK")) {
                    responseCode = 1;
                }
            }
        } finally {
            response.close();
        }

        return responseCode;
    }

What can I do to make this more stable and fast/effecient etc?

This is for load testing and it will be called thousands of times per
second hopefully so I want some advice on how to clean it up.