From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: HttpAsyncClient 4.0-beta4 - GZip decompression doesn't work anymore
Date Wed, 09 Oct 2013 11:25:43 GMT
On Tue, 2013-10-08 at 14:13 -0700, Johannes Kienzle wrote:
> Hello,
>
> it appears that in the latest version of the HttpAsyncClient (4.0-beta4),
> adding a response interceptor for GZip decompression (GzipDecompressingEntity)
> doesn't work anymore. Getting the HttpEntity from the response returns the
> compressed gzip stream, rather than letting the interceptor decompress it.
> It worked fine in previous releases. The same code also works fine with the
> regular HttpClient (tested 4.3 and 4.3.1) as seen below.
>
> Note that the request interceptor works fine and is utilized correctly (see
> tests below).
>
> Am I doing something wrong? Here are two tests to show the behavior, one
> with HttpClient which works, one with HttpAsyncClient which doesn't work,
> adopted from the official examples:

Johannes

HttpAsyncClient 4.0 does not support transparent content decompression.
The fact that it somehow worked for early released was merely
coincidental (it certainly could only have worked for responses whose
entire content was buffered in memory). Some things that are trivial
with bocking i/o are far from that for non-blocking i/o. Transparent
content decompression might (or might not) be supported in 4.1 branch.

Cheers

Oleg