From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject [POLL] Minimal JRE level as of HttpClient 4.4
Date Mon, 16 Sep 2013 12:02:49 GMT
Folks,

Java 1.5 compatibility has become increasing difficult to maintain and
increasing pointless on top of that. We, as a project, have been
thinking about upgrading minimal JRE level requirement for the
HttpClient 4.4 branch to something newer. While Java 1.6 might be a
reasonable and a conservative choice in terms of stability and adoption,
it actually brings little in terms of new features we could make use of
in HttpClient. Besides, Java 1.6 is officially end of life. So, we might
as well consider upgrading to Java 1.7 which would give us NIO2, full
support for 'try with resources', and probably some other features.

Please let us know what you think and respond to this poll.

All users of HttpClient are encouraged to participate. Every vote will
count.

[ ] keep Java 1.5 compatibility: no good reason to upgrade.
[ ] upgrade to Java 1.6: one step at a time.
[ ] upgrade to Java 1.7: new features are more important.