From Daniel Bonniot <dbonn...@chemaxon.com>
Subject Re: NTLM Integrated Authentication
Date Fri, 16 Aug 2013 16:09:20 GMT
On Fri, Aug 16, 2013 at 2:28 PM, Oleg Kalnichevski <olegk@apache.org> wrote:
> On Fri, 2013-08-16 at 12:21 +0200, Daniel Bonniot wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm developing a program that calls a customizable webservice URL to
>> fetch some data. I would like to support the case where this
>> webservice requires NTLM authentification.
>>
>> The code examples I found for httpclient set the credentials. For
>> instance, that's the case in:
>>
>> http://hc.apache.org/httpcomponents-client-ga//ntlm.html
>>
>> with:
>>
>> new NTCredentials("username", "password", "MYSERVER", "MYDOMAIN")
>>
>> However, as I understand NTLM can be done (on windows at least) by
>> fetching the information for the current logged in user, and if she is
>> already authentificated to the domain, use that automatically.
>> Basically, this is the unanswered question asked here:
>>
>> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/18089907/apache-http-client-4-2-5-ntlm-integrated-authentication
>>
>> Is this possible at all using httpclient?
>>

> It is technically possible using a custom AuthScheme but not supported
> out of the box. Speaking for myself, I am not going to touch anything
> Windows specific with a barge pole. Having said that I would happily
> review and commit support for integrated NTLM were it contributed to the
> project by an external contributor.

Thanks Oleg for your answer, I understand :)

For reference, I just had some initial success by simply using
java.net for this instead. Somehow I had wrongly assumed that
httpclient might take care of this automatically while the java.net
libraries don't, while it seems to be the other way around in this
specific case.

Some old information about the various options, including the support
in various versions of the JRE, can be found here:
http://www.oaklandsoftware.com/papers/ntlm.html

Cheers,

Daniel