From "Polhodzik Peter (ext)" <Peter.Polhodzik....@evosoft.com>
Subject RE: HttpComponents /// JCIP-ANNOTATIONS Apache or Creative Commons?
Date Sun, 11 Aug 2013 20:09:49 GMT
Oleg,

You linked httpcore, but in the problematic httpclient it seems these four annotations are
not included. Or at least not with this file name. Do you know anything about them in client?

Péter
From: Oleg Kalnichevski [olegk@apache.org]
Sent: 11 August 2013 21:21
To: HttpClient User Discussion
Subject: Re: HttpComponents /// JCIP-ANNOTATIONS Apache or Creative Commons?

On Sun, 2013-08-11 at 20:41 +0200, Polhodzik Peter (ext) wrote:
> Oleg,
>
> Unfortunately, updating is not an option for me this time, I should get Client 4.2.1
straight. Couldnt you update this version's LICENSE.txt?

Péter

ASF releases cannot be updated, re-issued or altered in any way. That is
why upgrading is your best option. Not to mention that you should
probably be wanting to pick up all the bug fixes released since 4.2.1

> If not,  I guess then I ll  just consider this version of Client as being Apache 2.0
and Creative Commons Attr. 2.5 licensed at the same time (they are compatible) to be on the
safe side.  What do you think about this? Do you happen to know which files exactly are affected
by CCAL?

These four annotations only

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpcomponents/httpcore/trunk/httpcore/src/main/java/org/apache/http/annotation/

Oleg

to the ANNOTATION in the NOTICE file and the actual source code is relicensed to Apache -->
this is a 100%Apache licensed component then.

> > In case HttpComponents-Client 4.2.1 please verify that I understand you right: despite
there is not only a reference to the ANNOTATION in the LICENSE.txt but also a reference its
license. the Creative Commons Attr. License, this component has to be treated as 100% Apache
License 2.0 component and the CCAL does not apply at all.

> > Thank you,
> >

> > Peter
>
> Péter,
>
> JCIP-ANNOTATIONS derived code was initially introduced in HttpClient and
> later moved over to HttpCore. Unfortunately NOTICE and LICENSE files in
> the HttpClient module were not updated properly at the same time due to
> an oversight on my part. The problem was remedied in a later release
> (post 4.2.1). Just upgrade to the latest version of HttpClient in the
> 4.2.x branch to avoid license ambiguity.
>
> Hope this helps
>
> Oleg

with a copyrighted annotation „Java Concurrency in Practice” Copyright (c) 2005 Brian
Goetz and Tim Peierls under Creative Commons Attribution License 2.5. AND Apache License 2.0
original code.

> > > Jcip concurrency annotation<http://jcip.net.s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.com/>
source<http://jcip.net.s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.com/jcip-annotations-src.jar>
is relicensed to Apache License 2.0 partly, partly left its Creative Commons Attribution License
within the same Apache distribution. Here are the details:

> > > 1.       HttpComponents-Client 4.2.1<http://archive.apache.org/dist/httpcomponents/httpclient/source/httpcomponents-client-4.2.1-src.tar.gz>
– this LICENSE file \httpcomponents-client-4.2.1-src.zip\httpcomponents-client-4.2.1\LICENSE.txt
has two licenses inside: Apache 2.0 and Creative Commons Attribution License:

> > > „ Apache License
> > >                            Version 2.0, January 2004
> > >                         http://www.apache.org/licenses/
> > > (...)
> > > This project contains annotations derived from JCIP-ANNOTATIONS
> > > Copyright (c) 2005 Brian Goetz and Tim Peierls.
> > > See http://www.jcip.net and the Creative Commons Attribution License
> > > (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.5)”
> > >
> > > However, the actual annotation marks the same as Apache in the source code
\httpcomponents-client-4.2.1-src.zip\httpcomponents-client-4.2.1\jcip-annotations.py :

> > > „# Licensed to the Apache Software Foundation (ASF) under one
> > > # or more contributor license agreements.  See the NOTICE file
> > > # distributed with this work for additional information
> > > # regarding copyright ownership.  The ASF licenses this file
> > > # to you under the Apache License, Version 2.0(...)”
> > >
> > > --> What is the license of JCIP-ANNOTATIONS in this Apache distribution:
Apache or Creative Commons 2.5?

> > > 2.       HttpComponents-Core 4.2.1<http://archive.apache.org/dist/httpcomponents/httpcore/source/httpcomponents-core-4.2.1-src.tar.gz>
— similar to Client, this file \httpcomponents-core-4.2.1-src.zip\httpcomponents-core-4.2.1\LICENSE.txt
has only one license (Apache 2.0), but the NOTICE file still refers to the original copyright:

> > > „This project contains annotations derived from JCIP-ANNOTATIONS
> > >
> > > Copyright (c) 2005 Brian Goetz and Tim Peierls. See http://www.jcip.net”
> > >

> > > Finally, the actual annotation is marked as Apache in the source code in every
file in \httpcomponents-core-4.2.1-src.zip\httpcomponents-core-4.2.1\httpcore\src\main\java\org\apache\http\annotation\: