From "Polhodzik Peter (ext)" <Peter.Polhodzik....@evosoft.com>
Subject RE: HttpComponents /// JCIP-ANNOTATIONS Apache or Creative Commons?
Date Sun, 11 Aug 2013 12:36:35 GMT
Oleg,

In case  HttpComponents-Core 4.2.1 it completely make sense: there is a reference to the ANNOTATION
in the NOTICE file and the actual source code is relicensed to Apache --> this is a 100%Apache
licensed component then.

In case HttpComponents-Client 4.2.1 please verify that I understand you right: despite there
is not only a reference to the ANNOTATION in the LICENSE.txt but also a reference its license.
the Creative Commons Attr. License, this component has to be treated as 100% Apache License
2.0 component and the CCAL does not apply at all.

Thank you,

Peter
From: Oleg Kalnichevski [olegk@apache.org]
Sent: 11 August 2013 12:50
To: HttpClient User Discussion
Subject: Re: HttpComponents /// JCIP-ANNOTATIONS Apache or Creative Commons?

On Sat, 2013-08-10 at 22:49 +0200, Polhodzik Peter (ext) wrote:
> Hello httpclient users,
>
> In two Apache http components there seems to be some mixing up in connection with a copyrighted
annotation „Java Concurrency in Practice” Copyright (c) 2005 Brian Goetz and Tim Peierls
under Creative Commons Attribution License 2.5. AND Apache License 2.0 original code.

> Jcip concurrency annotation<http://jcip.net.s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.com/>
source<http://jcip.net.s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.com/jcip-annotations-src.jar>
is relicensed to Apache License 2.0 partly, partly left its Creative Commons Attribution License
within the same Apache distribution. Here are the details:

> 1.       HttpComponents-Client 4.2.1<http://archive.apache.org/dist/httpcomponents/httpclient/source/httpcomponents-client-4.2.1-src.tar.gz>
– this LICENSE file \httpcomponents-client-4.2.1-src.zip\httpcomponents-client-4.2.1\LICENSE.txt
has two licenses inside: Apache 2.0 and Creative Commons Attribution License:

> „ Apache License
>                            Version 2.0, January 2004
>                         http://www.apache.org/licenses/
> (...)
> This project contains annotations derived from JCIP-ANNOTATIONS
> Copyright (c) 2005 Brian Goetz and Tim Peierls.
> See http://www.jcip.net and the Creative Commons Attribution License
> (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.5)”
>
> However, the actual annotation marks the same as Apache in the source code \httpcomponents-client-4.2.1-src.zip\httpcomponents-client-4.2.1\jcip-annotations.py
:

> „# Licensed to the Apache Software Foundation (ASF) under one
> # or more contributor license agreements.  See the NOTICE file
> # distributed with this work for additional information
> # regarding copyright ownership.  The ASF licenses this file
> # to you under the Apache License, Version 2.0(...)”
>
> --> What is the license of JCIP-ANNOTATIONS in this Apache distribution: Apache or
Creative Commons 2.5?

> 2.       HttpComponents-Core 4.2.1<http://archive.apache.org/dist/httpcomponents/httpcore/source/httpcomponents-core-4.2.1-src.tar.gz>
— similar to Client, this file \httpcomponents-core-4.2.1-src.zip\httpcomponents-core-4.2.1\LICENSE.txt
has only one license (Apache 2.0), but the NOTICE file still refers to the original copyright:

> „This project contains annotations derived from JCIP-ANNOTATIONS
>
> Copyright (c) 2005 Brian Goetz and Tim Peierls. See http://www.jcip.net”
>

> Finally, the actual annotation is marked as Apache in the source code in every file in
\httpcomponents-core-4.2.1-src.zip\httpcomponents-core-4.2.1\httpcore\src\main\java\org\apache\http\annotation\:

> „# Licensed to the Apache Software Foundation (ASF) under one
> # or more contributor license agreements.  See the NOTICE file
> # distributed with this work for additional information
> # regarding copyright ownership.  The ASF licenses this file
> # to you under the Apache License, Version 2.0(...)”
>
> Could you make the licensing clear?
>
> Thank you for answers,

Péter,

Annotations shipped with HttpCore are derived from JCIP-ANNOTATIONS
licensed under Creative Commons license. Creative Commons allows for
derived work to be re-licensed under a under a different license as long
as there is an attribution to the original authors and the original
license is distributed with the derived work.

I believe HC is fully compliant with those requirements.

Hope this helps

Oleg