From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: HttpClient performance question
Date Wed, 03 Jul 2013 19:59:47 GMT
On Wed, 2013-07-03 at 18:59 +0100, Ke Ren wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We are using httpcomponents httpclient 4.2.2 and doing loadtest with
> client. when we increased concurrent requests to 3000 per second, we found
> it took near half of cpu usage on aws ec m3.xlarge instance. We have config
> as the following:
>
> keepAlive is enabled. socket buffer size is 8 * 1024. maxConnection: 2000,
> maxPerRoute: 2000
>
> Today we found apache benchmark test with httpclient 4.3.beta and ran it on
> the same aws ec2 instance. The outcome is impressive. It achieved more than
> 16k requests per second and cpu usage is much lower. Its config is pretty
> simple: max connection is 2000 with max 50 conns per route. same buffer
> size.
>
> I am just curious if http client 4.3.beta is improved so much or we did
> wrong config with 4.2.2.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Ke

I suspect wrong configuration. HC 4.3 can be expected to be marginally
faster for smaller messages but the difference can hardly be more than
15%. There is also a version of benchmark that uses 4.2.5 version of
HttpClient if that can help.

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpcomponents/benchmark/httpclient/branches/4.2.x/

Oleg