From "Godbey, David J. (HQ-LM020)[DIGITAL MANAGEMENT INC.]" <david.j.god...@nasa.gov>
Subject RE: 4.3 issue with NTLMv2 authentication
Date Mon, 03 Jun 2013 17:29:33 GMT
Oleg,
I raised two tickets per your request, 1363 and 1364. Let me know if you need anything more
from me.
Yours,
Dave

-----Original Message-----
From: Oleg Kalnichevski [mailto:olegk@apache.org]
Sent: Monday, June 03, 2013 11:59 AM
To: HttpClient User Discussion
Subject: Re: 4.3 issue with NTLMv2 authentication

On Mon, 2013-06-03 at 15:15 +0000, Godbey, David J. (HQ-LM020)[DIGITAL MANAGEMENT INC.] wrote:
> Ok, I guess my previous post was a bit winded, and I got no response. No big deal.

Actually I did respond to your first message. It was stored in my SENT box but for some reason
never delivered to my SMTP server. I often use my mobile as a modem to connect to the Internet.
Probably it got lost due to bad connection over radio.

>  I was able to get my application working using HC 4.3 for NTLMv2 authentication. I used
your ClientPreemptiveDigestAuthentication class as a guide, and replaced all DigestScheme
stuff with NTLM scheme stuff. I attach my code that is a slight variant of the Digest class.
You may add this to your examples package if you wish.

NTLMv2 should work out of the box. If it does not please provide two wire / context logs:
one generated with the 4.2.x version and another one with 4.3.x.

> I do see one issue you may want to address. This call in the code below (line 44): entity.getContentLength()
always returns -1 for me.

This is expected. Entity content is not delimited with a Content-Length header. Larger entities
usually get transmitted chunk coded and their length is not known.

> The entity does unpack properly containing my SOAP response, even though getContentLength
does not tell me the size of the payload.

> Of secondary importance, the symmetry is missing for the NTLMScheme
> class. You cannot instantiate an NTLMScheme object like you can a
> DigestScheme object, you need to go directly to an AuthScheme through
> the NTLMSchmeFactory. And the NTLMSchemeFactory does not have a
> getNTLMScheme method, just a method that returns an AuthScheme object.
> I don't see any way of actually handling an NTLMScheme object. Or
> perhaps you meant to hide the DigestScheme object behind a factory? I
> suppose not a big deal, but maybe something you want to consider

Please raise a JIRA for this issue.

Oleg