From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Intercepting and responding to requests on client-side
Date Mon, 03 Jun 2013 08:02:31 GMT
On Mon, 2013-06-03 at 00:10 +0300, Marko Asplund wrote:
> Oleg wrote:
>
> > Marko wrote:
> > > I noticed that one problem with this approach was that I'm not able to
> > > intercept redirected requests.
> > > HC seems to be using DefaultRequestDirector for executing the
> > > redirected requests instead of the custom executor.
> > >
> > > Does using the new executions chain APIs solve this issue?
> >
> > It should.
>
> ok. I did some experimenting with this using HC 4.3b1, and it does
> appear to work.
> My proto code is available here:
>
> https://github.com/marko-asplund/tech-protos/blob/master/hc-proto/src/main/java/fi/markoa/proto/hc/RequestInterceptionDemo.java
>
> Is this the correct way to use the new API?

I had something different in mind (see my pull request) but if that
works then it is certainly not wrong.

https://github.com/marko-asplund/tech-protos/pull/1

> Are any big changes expected in HC 4.3 beta before the final release?
> Any estimates for HC 4.3 final release date?

No big changes are planned. I just need to rewrite the tutorial. You can
expect 4.3b2 in a week or two and a GA by the end of summer.

> As a side note, try-with-resources doesn't seem to work well with a
> set of related resources some of which implement AutoCloseable and
> some that don't. For example it doesn't seem to be practical to use
> try-with-resources with CloseableHttpClient, CloseableHttpResponse and
> HttpEntity, because if the first two would be closed automatically
> while the last one would be closed in a finally block, the resources
> would be closed in an incorrect order.

It is no longer necessary to consume response entities from a finally
clause. CloseableHttpResponse#close() will take care of resource
deallocation in case the response content has not been fully consumed.

Hope this helps

Oleg