From Poonam Chawla <Poonam.Cha...@mathworks.com>
Subject RE: Apache HTTP Client fails to return 404 for a non-existing file.
Date Tue, 30 Apr 2013 13:26:14 GMT
Hello Oleg,

Thank you so much for a quick response.

I am testing the server functionality at my end to make sure that it works as expected. In
the mean time I have attached the wireshark log (with both  the success and failure scenarios).

Logs from 1 - 10 : Failure
Logs from 11 - 21 : Success.

If you can take a quick look and raise any flag that you see I would highly appreciate it.

Thanks a lot!
Poonam

-----Original Message-----
From: Oleg Kalnichevski [mailto:olegk@apache.org]
Sent: Tuesday, April 30, 2013 6:32 AM
To: HttpClient User Discussion
Subject: Re: Apache HTTP Client fails to return 404 for a non-existing file.

On Mon, 2013-04-29 at 15:00 +0000, Poonam Chawla wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am working with Apache's HTTP async client and have encountered a possible bug (race
condition).

> PROBLEM:
> While  accessing a nonexistent file on the server, I would ALWAYS expect to receive a
"404 : component not found" error message.
> However, the behavior is sporadic. Sometimes I receive the correct message, whereas,
on the other occasions it throw the following exception:

> org.apache.http.impl.nio.client.LoggingAsyncRequestExecutor exception
> SEVERE: http-outgoing-1 [ACTIVE] HTTP protocol exception: An
> established connection was aborted by the software in your host
> machine
> java.io.IOException: An established connection was aborted by the
> software in your host machine at
> sun.nio.ch.SocketDispatcher.read0(Native Method) at
> sun.nio.ch.SocketDispatcher.read(SocketDispatcher.java:43)
> at sun.nio.ch.IOUtil.readIntoNativeBuffer(IOUtil.java:225)
> at sun.nio.ch.IOUtil.read(IOUtil.java:198)
> at sun.nio.ch.SocketChannelImpl.read(SocketChannelImpl.java:359)
> at
> org.apache.http.impl.nio.reactor.SessionInputBufferImpl.fill(SessionIn
> putBufferImpl.java:97) at
> org.apache.http.impl.nio.codecs.AbstractMessageParser.fillBuffer(Abstr
> actMessageParser.java:115) at
> org.apache.http.impl.nio.DefaultNHttpClientConnection.consumeInput(Def
> aultNHttpClientConnection.java:167)
> at
> org.apache.http.impl.nio.DefaultHttpClientIODispatch.onInputReady(Defa
> ultHttpClientIODispatch.java:125) at
> org.apache.http.impl.nio.DefaultHttpClientIODispatch.onInputReady(Defa
> ultHttpClientIODispatch.java:50) at
> org.apache.http.impl.nio.reactor.AbstractIODispatch.inputReady(Abstrac
> tIODispatch.java:112) at
> org.apache.http.impl.nio.reactor.BaseIOReactor.readable(BaseIOReactor.
> java:160) at
> org.apache.http.impl.nio.reactor.AbstractIOReactor.processEvent(Abstra
> ctIOReactor.java:342) at
> org.apache.http.impl.nio.reactor.AbstractIOReactor.processEvents(Abstr
> actIOReactor.java:320) at
> org.apache.http.impl.nio.reactor.AbstractIOReactor.execute(AbstractIOR
> eactor.java:280) at
> org.apache.http.impl.nio.reactor.BaseIOReactor.execute(BaseIOReactor.j
> ava:106) at
> org.apache.http.impl.nio.reactor.AbstractMultiworkerIOReactor$Worker.r
> un(AbstractMultiworkerIOReactor.java:604)
>
> java.io.IOException: An established connection was aborted by the
> software in your host machine
>
> INVESTIGATION:
> I downloaded the source code and tried to investigate it myself. Interestingly, I found
that the "IOReactorStatus" is set to "SHUTDOWN_REQUEST" only after the exception has already
been thrown.
> I am not sure if this is the root cause or not, but I would highly appreciate if somebody
could please confirm if it's a known issue and if there exists a solution.

> Thanks,
> Poonam

Poonam

HTTP 404 response is in no way no different or special as far as HTTP exchange handling is
concerned. It is just a 4xx message potentially enclosing a content entity. That is it. If
you are seeing this kind of behavior for non-existent resources but not for normal resources
(status
200) I would strongly suspect a server side issue. A wire / content log produced by HttpAsyncClient
or a Wireshark packet dump might help prove or disprove that.

http://hc.apache.org/httpcomponents-client-ga/logging.html

Oleg