From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: responseEntity.writeTo() performance depending on network?
Date Tue, 05 Feb 2013 13:12:56 GMT
On Tue, 2013-02-05 at 03:26 -0800, Oliver Lorenz wrote:
> Thanks for your reply Oleg.
>
> You wrote:
>
> > Is there a reason for using such an outdated version of HttpClient?
>
> We have started to use it when it came out, and did not have a direct need
> to upgrade. But we will plan for that.
>
> > > As far as i understood the execute(), it blocks until the whole stream
> > is
> > > read from the socket. Is that not the case? Can the performance of
> > writeTo()
> > > be in some way depending on the network?
> >
> > Absolutely. Smaller messages may fit into the network buffer in their
> > entirety. Larger messages most likely are transmitted with several
> > packets. Delivery of those packets can be affected by network
> > nstability or congestion.
> >
> >Oleg
>
> Of course I am aware of the fact that the network affects the performance of
> execute(), but I expected all packets to be transferred once execute()
> returns?

Usually this is the case unless the server responds out of sequence with
an early response without having received the entire request message.

> My question targets especially the call writeTo(). From what I can
> see, writeTo() just copies bytes from one place to another, and, in the end,
> calls the connection manager to release the connection.

That other place is the network stack and write operations can block
indefinitely if the network stack is unable to flush internal output
buffer for some reason.

>  So can even
> writeTo() have a varying performance based on the network?

There is no guarantee that the network stack can flush the output buffer
instantaneously. The speed with which the network stack is able to write
packages out is likely to vary. Some packages may even need to be
re-transmitted, and so on.

Hope this helps

Oleg