From Mark Claassen <ma...@donnell.com>
Subject RE: Connection Reset errors
Date Thu, 24 Jan 2013 15:51:23 GMT
Something else I thought of is this:  We have some transactions where the response is not too
important.  For instance, if we send a pulse to the server to let it know we are still here.
 We don't really care what the response is, if we didn't get an error then we did our part.
 If we did get and error, we will try again soon anyway, so no big deal.

Is there something that needs to be done on a connection that is closed before reading all
the data?  I have never experienced reading stale data, so this seems a bit unlikely to me.
 However, if there is implicit cleanup that is being done, could this be, in some way, causing
my problems?

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark Claassen [mailto:mac01@donnell.com]
Sent: Thursday, January 24, 2013 10:29 AM
To: 'HttpClient User Discussion'
Subject: RE: Connection Reset errors

I am just not convinced this is a network thing.  It happens too often for her, and never
with the java.net connection.  She has a newer machine, maybe threading issues are just more
apparent on her hardware.

So, maybe the problem is somewhere in my code.  Can you tell me what are the methods that
might release a connection back to the pool?  I am wondering if there is a way I could be
releasing the connection back to the pool, it gets picked up by something else, and then the
original thread tries to close it again or something.

The docs say the closing the InputStream will do it, but will anything else do it implicitly?
--

Another avenue I am investigating is trying to force the issue by making the connections work
harder.

I don't need to block around the "httpClient.execute(request);" do I?

I am using HttpClient 4.2.3 (with HttpCore 4.2.3)
--

I do this to establish the connection:

This is run once in the setup
connectionManager = new PoolingClientConnectionManager(schemeRegistry);
connectionManager.setDefaultMaxPerRoute(MAX);
connectionManager.setMaxTotal(MAX);

httpClient = new DefaultHttpClient(connectionManager, params);

This is called when I want to make a request
response = httpClient.execute(request);