From Sachin Nikumbh <saniku...@gmail.com>
Subject HTTP Async client and SO_SNDBUF
Date Sun, 02 Dec 2012 05:12:36 GMT
Hi,

Is there a way to set the SO_SNDBUF while working with the async HTTP
client? CoreConnectionPNames class does not expose this property. When I
google'ed on this topic, I found that
org.apache.commons.httpclient.params.HttpConnectionParams* *class exposes
it.

I am comparing the throughput of the HTTP async client with Sun's
HttpURLConnection. The test case is a single threaded application that's
sending ~1Mb of data around 1000 number of times. With Wireshark, I see
that apache HTTP client's request content-length never exceeds 4096 bytes
whereas HttpURLConnectioncan have content-length of much higher size. This
is resulting in the Sun's implementation showing faster results for sending
the request. The response is received at almost the same speed as the
response content-length is same for both.

I was wondering if tweaking SO_SNDBUF would allow me to get HTTP async
client to perform faster than Sun's.

Any feedback would be highly appreciated.

Thanks
Sachin