From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: "Proxy Authentication Required" error in using kerberos authentication with Proxy Server
Date Tue, 18 Dec 2012 13:38:04 GMT
On Tue, 2012-12-18 at 17:22 +0530, Deepak Mishra wrote:
> Hi,
> We need to communicate to an internet URL through a Proxy Server, the Proxy
> Server has kerberos authentication integrated with an active directory.
> I am using HttpClient-4.2 with JRE 1.6.0_37. When I try to connect to an
> internet URL through the Proxy server, it returns "Proxy Authentication
> Required" error.
>
> On the other hand, when I try to communicate to a target host which has
> kerberos authentication, the communication succeeds.
> After debugging I found that in GGSSchemeBase.java, in method
> "authenticate" we get the token from KDC and then create a header
> "Authorization" with value "Negotiate token(in base 64 encoded format)".
> So, using this header the communication with Target Server succeeds but
> communication with Proxy Server fails. Because for Proxy Server, the Header
> name should be "Proxy-Authenticate".
>
> I have not modified the HttpClient code for my purpose, but it seems that
> for successful Proxy Server authentication using kerberos, the header name
> in request should be "Proxy-Authenticate".
> Can any one please look into this problem and help me in getting a patch
> that will work with Proxy Server using Kerberos authentication?
>
> Thank You,
> Deepak

Deepak

HttpClient should decide whether to use 'WWW-Authorization' or
'Proxy-Authorization' header based on the authentication challenge
received from the opposite endpoint (be it a proxy of the target host).
GGSSchemeBase class is wrong in always generating 'Authorization'
regardless of the challenge. Please raise a JIRA for this defect.

Oleg