From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Question about IOReactorConfig.soTimeout and IOReactorConfig.ioThreadCount
Date Fri, 09 Nov 2012 17:41:51 GMT
On Fri, 2012-11-09 at 11:59 -0500, Sachin Nikumbh wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am evaluating HTTP Async client and have following questions.
>
> How's IOReactorConfig.soTimeout different
> from CoreConnectionPNames.SO_TIMEOUT? I am looking into the code but it's
> not very obvious to me yet.

IOReactorConfig applies to the lower level components (such as I/O
session components) whereas CoreConnectionPNames apply to the protocol
(HTTP level) components. CoreConnectionPNames and everything HttpParams
related will be deprecated in the next series of releases (4.3), which,
hopefully, should make HC configuration API more obvious and easier to
use.

>  Also, what parameter should be taken into
> account while setting value of IOReactorConfig.ioThreadCount? I see that
> it's being defaulted to number of processors. But if my client application
> is going to generate hundreds of simultaneous requests, should I be
> changing this parameter?

No, you should not. You do not want to have any CPU cores underutilized.
At the same time there is no point having more I/O selectors that the
CPU cores capable of running them.

> In general, while using HTTP async client in high load environment, what
> are the parameters that one needs to be aware of?

As usual, one needs to be careful with the connection pool settings. You
probably do not want too many connections just sitting idle in the pool.
At the same time you do not execution requests to pile up blocked by a
limited number of available connections.

Oleg