From Jaikit Savla <jaikit.ydogf...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Instrumenting HttpClient library
Date Fri, 28 Sep 2012 23:21:53 GMT
Hi Mike,

Have you submitted the patch ?

Thanks,
Jaikit

----- Original Message -----
From: Oleg Kalnichevski <olegk@apache.org>
To: Mike Boyers <mboyers@yahoo.com>
Cc: HttpClient User Discussion <httpclient-users@hc.apache.org>
Sent: Monday, August 13, 2012 11:08 AM
Subject: Re: Instrumenting HttpClient library

On Sun, 2012-08-12 at 20:00 -0700, Mike Boyers wrote:
> I've taken a closer look at what I've done.  The Request/Response
Interceptor approach doesn't work for catching the various timeouts
since the interceptors aren't called in those cases.  So what I have
currently is an approach where you can instantiate a
JmxEnabledHttpClient given an HttpClient (uses the decorator pattern
from the HttpClient interface).  Unit tests are also in place.

> I think what makes the most sense is for me to remove the external
dependencies, which shouldn't take me long, and then show it to Oleg to
see what he recommends as far as the best way to integrate.

> I should have this ready by the end of the week.  At the point at
which I'm ready, what's the best way to handle showing it to folks?
Check it in to the trunk or a branch?  Or something more informal?

> Thanks,
>
> Mike

Mike

Probably the most practical approach is to clone HttpClient [1] at
GitHub and start hacking on your private copy. Once reasonably satisfied
with your solution, raise a JIRA and attach a patch generated as a diff
between your private branch and HttpClient trunk. You might as well
create a pull request but currently there is no way of merging pull
requests from GitHub to the official ASF repository (I know of).

Please also note there have been a number of significant API changes on
the trunk. They mainly concern the way various processing aspects can be
chained together into a processing pipeline. This should give you more
options as to at which point to inject JMX probes. For instance, when
collecting stats on the HttpClient interface level one may be unable to
differentiate simple HTTP exchanges from those that require redirect(s)
or authentication, which can distort the stats.

Oleg

PS: I'll be away on vacation starting tomorrow until August 22nd and may
be unable to review patches promptly enough. Please be patient.

[1] https://github.com/apache/httpclient