From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: httpclient socks dns not working correctly
Date Sun, 09 Sep 2012 17:52:46 GMT
On Sat, 2012-09-08 at 17:11 -0400, Arya wrote:
> Hello
>
> When using socks proxy with httpclient the dns gets resolved on the local
> machine instead of on the proxy machine. socks 5 should not be behaving
> like this and it causes security issues. When I use TOR with httpclient set
> to use it as a SOCKS proxy TOR gives out warning messages about DNS not
> being resolved on the remote proxy server which it should, but when I use
> Java's native socks proxy support everything works as expected with no
> warning messages about dns not being resolved on the proxy server. Are
> there any plans to fix this issue?
>
> Regards!

SOCKS is a TCP/IP level proxy mechanism, not an HTTP level one.
HttpClient doesn't have any SOCKS specific logic and it simply relies on
the functionality provided by JRE. I'll happily review and commit a
patch improving SOCKS support in HttpClient but I have no good knowledge
of the SOCKS protocol myself and have no intention of investing my time
into learning it.

Oleg