From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Randon "ProtocolException: The server failed to respond with a valid HTTP response" while executing the client request
Date Tue, 28 Aug 2012 11:40:40 GMT
On Tue, 2012-08-28 at 12:00 +0530, Ravi C Chamarthy wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am running a junit test case, where the test methods would submit http
> client requests to the target application server (WebSphere 8) which hosts
> the serving application.
> While running the test case, I randomly run into the following error, where
> in first run, say testA() would fail, and in a successive test run testA()
> would pass but some other test method, say testB() would fail with the same
> error message as listed below.
> I am not sure what is happening as it not a constant error occurring for
> the same method.
> What's more confusing is, the Servlet listening to the HTTP requests is not
> at all called when this error occurred. And also, I do not see any error
> messages at the server side.

This exception is thrown when the server simply drops the connection in
the middle of HTTP exchange without responding in any meaningful way.
Quite often that can happen when the server is unable to accept new
incoming connections due to overload or an internal problem of some
sort. The servlet never gets called because the connection gets dropped
by WebSphere's HTTP stack before control is passed to your web
application.

Oleg

PS: Please do _not_ cross post.