From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Abort a PUT request when server sends an error
Date Fri, 24 Aug 2012 15:58:07 GMT
On Fri, 2012-08-24 at 16:02 +0200, David Mencarelli wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm using httpclient-4 (more precisely 4.1.2) to send the content of a stream (a huge
file in this case) to my Tomcat's upload servlet using the following code:

> HttpRequest httpRequest = new HttpPut(destination);
> InputStreamEntity entity = new InputStreamEntity(inputStream, contentLength);
> ((HttpPut)httpRequest).setEntity(entity);
> httpClient.execute(httpRequest,handler);
>
> It worked fine.
>
> I later added an authentication mechanism to prevent unauthorized user to upload files.
If someone tries to upload without being authenticated the servlet directly responds with
an HttpServletResponse.SC_FORBIDDEN without even processing the request's InputStream.

> The problem I am facing is that despite the fact that the request is rejected on the
server side, my client keeps sending the whole content of the InputStream resulting in a waste
of network resources.

> Here is a sample trace of execution:
> 12:00:32,813 -> call to execute
> 12:00:32:936 -> server sends an SC_FORBIDDEN error
> 12:00:44:883 -> response handler execute (and I detect the SC_FORBIDDEN status)
> Network activity shows that the whole content of the file has been sent on the line.

> I have tried several server sides trick like reading one byte of the input stream then
closing it but nothing worked.

> Is there a way to tell the httpclient to stop streaming the content of the file when
the response is forbidden (or any other status different of 200) ?

> Any insights will be appreciated.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Regards,
> David

David

The 'expect: continue' handshake is your friend. This is precisely what
it is intended for: to ensure requests meets the server expectations. It
is disabled per default. Try turning it on.

Oleg