From bibble_235 <iwise...@bibble.co.nz>
Subject Simple app with commons-httpclient-3.1.jar
Date Wed, 20 Jun 2012 12:15:07 GMT

Hi,

Trying to run this on a Samsung Galaxy 3 running Android. This is a first
dabble with Android and it is a long time since I used java so please assume
nothing.

I want to start writing Android apps and seemed to have fallen over on my
first one. I have a java program which consists of an activity which calls
another activity. This works fine and all is good. Now I want to connect to
a server and I have choosen to use apache commons-httpclient-3.1.jar.

Reading the documentation from apache it says I need as dependencies

commons-codec-1.2.jar and
commons-logging-1.0.4.jar
junit- 3.8.1.jar

http://hc.apache.org/httpclient-3.x/dependencies.html

I added these to the build path. I am using eclipse 3.7.2 and Android 4.0.3

Each time I run the software I get ClassNotFoundException. I understand what
this means but have no idea why it is happen.

- Is it ok to use commons-httpclient-3.1.jar does the android VM support it?
- is there an alternative
- Is there something in the packaging I should be doing. I assumed this is
all done for me
- Is there a way to understand which jar/class is missing

Class being instaniated is

import org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpClient;

public class TestClient extends HttpClient {

}

Thanks,
Iain