From "Joan Balaguero" <joan.balagu...@grupoventus.com>
Subject RE: Question about pools
Date Fri, 15 Jun 2012 16:07:07 GMT
Hello,

Then having 1 pool is perfect. My proxy is a reverse proxy. All incoming requests of these
20 webservices are load-balanced by our proxy to 15 servers. So I only have 15 ips, because
port is always 8080. All requests are http (no https), no security credentials and no proxies
in the middle of communication.

In this conditions I suppose that connections will be shared. Is it true?

Anyway, I'll enable debug to check that.

Thanks,
Joan.

-----Mensaje original-----
De: Oleg Kalnichevski [mailto:olegk@apache.org]
Enviado el: viernes, 15 de junio de 2012 17:58
Para: HttpClient User Discussion
Asunto: RE: Question about pools

On Fri, 2012-06-15 at 17:52 +0200, Joan Balaguero wrote:
> Hello Oleg,
>
> Then, if I have one webservice pointing to http://ip1:port1/webservice1 and another one
pointing to http://ip1:port1/webservice2, connections of ws1 can be shared with connections
of ws2?

Yes

> What are the conditions for sharing 2 connections? Just the same ip and port? Or exactly
the same url (end point)?

They must have the same route (host, port, security guarantees, and intermediate proxy hops).
Path and query parts of the request URI make no difference for connection pooling.

Oleg

> Thanks,
>
> Joan.

with one global lock per pool. So, the larger the pool the more likely are chances of lock
contention. However, as long as the number of worker threads is approximately the same as
the max number of connections per route, the lock should get acquired and released reasonably
fast.

> At the same time if all your web services are hosted on different hosts with distinct
connection routes, connections cannot be shared between endpoints, so you might as well have
separate pools of connections for each individual service.

-----