From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Question about spaces in cookie values
Date Tue, 17 Apr 2012 22:09:11 GMT
On Tue, 2012-04-17 at 08:52 -0500, llowder@oreillyauto.com wrote:
> Does HTTPClient4 have any known issues with having spaces in cookies?

White spaces in cookie values are legal for legacy (Netscape style)
cookies and for standard HTTP cookies as long as they are enclosed with
quotation marks. Cookie values with white spaces not enclosed with
quotation marks may be treated as ambiguous by the strict (standard
compliant) cookie policies.

> I have a webapp I am working with, and some of the cookies have spaces in
> the value. This does not present a problem in my browser, but it does in
> the app i am using (specifically, jmeter 2.6). I do have it set to use
> "compatibility" mode.
>
> The odd thing is, when I look in jmeter logs & results, in fiddler and even
> in the Apache logs, I see the full cookie value, even the space and text
> after it.  However, my tomcat logs show the cookie value being truncated at
> the space.
>
> As a separate test, I did create a java project of my own that does the
> same set of requests I am using in jmeter - and I got the same results
> where I am unable to login successfully, and again due to that space - even
> though the line that prints the cookies shows the full cookies.
>
> Any ideas or suggestions?

If you post the exact cookie header your application is having the
problem with I should be able to tell how different cookie policies
would end up handling it.

Oleg